I set big goals last year, and met about three of them. Seriously. As I was wrapping up 2015 with a review (that I'm still not done with) I realized a lot of the goals were not specific or actionable enough. So this year I tried to be a little better with that aspect. And I wrote down my reason WHY I want to achieve the goals, so when it becomes a drudgery (by January 8th usually), hopefully it will encourage me to keep pushing on. Here are a few of my goals... just the main ones I want to focus on for 2016 and then a breakdown of what I'll do in January.
To meet these goals I will read through all of them weekly, and the January focus areas daily.
My word of the year is QUIET.
I need much more QUIET in my life
and the goals that will help with that are marked with = QUIET
I want to keep my body in good health. I’ve never struggled with health problems in my life and feel so blessed to have a strong and healthy body. I want to keep my muscles conditioned and my heart and lungs strong so if and when I do need to climb a big flight of steps, or go on a hike, or run for my life, I’m able to do it. I also want to change my unhealthy eating habits of too many carbs. I need a balanced diet of whole foods.
- Workout for 30 minutes minimum at least 3x a week with Fitnessblender.com
- Daily apple, daily salad --every day in January
- No bread in January, bread is my kryptonite.
- no more default of sandwiches or toast. Think of other options for breakfasts and lunches
We are almost out of debt and the relief is amazing. It is so easy for me to be content and relaxed at this stage in the game because paying bills is no problem and we have a small emergency fund. I need to remember, however, that there are no guarantees. Anything could happen and I need to get that original intensity back to keep going and gett that last debt paid off save 6 months worth of living expenses for a fully funded emergency fund.
- Build emergency fund to 3 months of expenses
- Divide the goal amount down by 12 months to see how much we have to save each month. Write into budget.
- Pay off debt by December 31, 2016 (or earlier) and take on no additional debt, ever.
- current debt divided by 12 for monthly amount and write into budget.
- Be content with what we have = QUIET
- Plan menu and orderly shopping for staples (include game nights/friends over in budget)
- alternate weekly for staples: wk 1: laundry products, wk 2: hygiene, wk 3: spices/pantry, wk 4: cleaning products
- No eating out in January 2016
- keep snacks in car, bring water bottles everywhere
- don’t shop or run errands before lunch
- pack co-op lunch Wednesday night
My head is a hot mess. I’m cluttered, disorganized, easily distracted, and not able to think deeply about anything for any decent period of time. I think most of that is due to time spent online, on social media specifically--facebook more specifically. I need WAY less of that and WAY more God. I love time spent alone, quietly outside without electronic distraction. I also need to remember that my life is short and I want to do all I can to learn the Word, to be fully used by God, and to share with others how to dig deep into the Word and become more Christ-like. I have no guarantee of my days, and I’m about mid-life right now. I need to live with urgency instead of apathetic default!
- Severely limit Facebook = QUIET
- Read 2-4 books a month = QUIET
- Read from the Challies reading challenge
- Read a set number of pages (25) or chapters (1) a day instead of a time goal
- 2 books/month = 24 books a year, 3/month = 36, 4/month = 48
- Only have 2 books going at a time (not including the purse book and the books for class)
- Develop and stick with a solid morning and evening routine
- write it out, tweak it, but stick with it!
- must haves: Bible, prayer, memory, read aloud, elevate app
Change my password for facebook to a complicated and confusing one that takes forever to type out and that I won't be able to memorize. Then when I do get on, once a day, it will be purposeful and not by default. Delete app off iPad.
Finish all partially read books I have going so I can start February fresh
I long to be a woman who has scripture easily come to mind when praying or talking or encouraging someone. And I don’t want to be satisfied with the “it’s in the Bible somewhere” kind of thing, but know specifics. I want the Word to flow from me, and the only way that is going to happen is with deliberate time in it! I want to memorize some “hang on” verses for the hard times that are bound to come so they flow through my mind in struggles. I want to work on the nagging sins that seem to always be a struggle (lack of contentment, lack of faith in hard things, gluttony, laziness, self-centeredness). I also want to grow in faithfulness in prayer.
- Memorize 12 verses this year (1 a month) Possibly the fighter verses?
- Pray through the book of Psalms
- make a chart and mark it off or follow Donald Whitney’s praying the Bible
- Slow down and meditate this year = QUIET
- I don’t need MORE reading, I need deeper, slower, more meditative reading
- Finally finish Overcoming Sin and Temptation (2 years late!)
- Find verses to memorize
- work out a meditation plan through Psalm 119 for the year
- Read 3 chapters in Overcoming Sin and Temptation
I absolutely LOVE what I get to do! I love digging deep into the word and sharing it with others! I love that I’ll NEVER be able to plumb the depths of God’s word and am so excited to see what He has for each chapter of each study! I want to use this ministry He gave me to the fullest. I want all my work to be done with excellence and pray daily that I will handle His word accurately. I want to grow as a writer, as a blogger, as a marketer, and especially as a believer!
- Write four all new Bible studies and launch in 2016 (one a quarter)
- John (February)
- _______________ (May)
- _______________ (August)
- Genealogy of Christ? (November)
- Draw at least one biography coloring book through the life of Jacob
- decide if this is an area to pursue based on feedback
- Launch in March/April
- John through chapter 18
- Work on edits with Kristen as I go
Corey and I are doing really well, but we’ve hit a rut. Our “date nights” are movies. We need to shake that up... maybe date day trips, going to someplace new, trying something different. I want to encourage him and help him (with a woodshed, home stuff) etc. I want each year to be a year where we are growing closer to Christ and each other.
- Read 2 marriage books
- Contact friends for ideas for dates and fun outings
- Schedule in three get-away weekends for just the two of us = QUIET
- by April, August, December
- Plan a quarterly day trip to somewhere new for just the two of us = QUIET
- by March, June, September, December
- Find marriage book to read
- Get at least three day trip ideas from friends
We are boring. I admit it. I thrive in routines and being at home... but those routines and home times could definitely use a makeover. I need to be intentional with working in fun and change. The time is short with all boys still at home. We need to create some memories!
- Family outdoor vacation (where we are mostly in nature somewhere new)
- Possible ideas: Crater Lake, Glacier National Park, Leavenworth, WA, a new beach
- summer or fall
- Find three new places to go to in Portland
- Look into places to go, make a list of at least three
- Visit at least one new park we haven't been to before
I suck as a friend. Really and truly. I get so wrapped up in projects and work and homeschool that I rarely take time to visit and enjoy and grow in friendships. I need to nourish and cultivate the friendships I have!
- Be sure to energize myself with lots of down time or none of this will happen = QUIET
- cultivate quiet time during the week as much as possible
- Make an effort to contact my handful of friends at least once a month
- phone call (yuck)
- get together for coffee
- Monthly game night
- find a game that has high replay value or vary games
- schedule it in
- Raclette/BBQ once a month with a family
- schedule and plan menu and budget it in
- Purchase another Raclette for two on the table?
- Get a date on the calendar for first game night/Raclette
What about you? Do you have any goals? I'd love to hear! Share yours in the comments below, or if you have a blog, link below!
*this post contains affiliate links to help support this blog at no additional cost to you. Thank you!